Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 Week Course
January 2024 registration now open. Click here for more info-
Instructor: Lynn Smith, LSCW
IN PERSON at Mind Body Knox and Hybrid Online via Zoom
*17.5 CE credits available for an extra fee
What is MBSR?
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is an 8 week evidence based, live experiential program designed to provide participants with intensive and systematic training in mindfulness meditation and movement practices (gentle stretching and mindful yoga).
The MBSR curriculum was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Center for Mindfulness. With over 40 years of research, MBSR consistently demonstrates positive outcomes associated with increased self-awareness and emotional and attentional regulation. In addition, outcomes highlight statistically significant reductions in symptoms for various physical and behavioral health conditions including anxiety, depression and chronic pain, along with positive changes in risk factors that may lead to more serious chronic health problems.
Some benefits include:
- Reduced stress, worry, and anxiety
- Increased resilience and wellbeing
- Improved mood and emotional stability
- Strengthened decision making, memory, and problem solving abilities
- Improved communication skills
- The ability to maintain present moment awareness and relaxation.
- Finding greater balance, ease and peace of mind
- The ability approach life more fully engaged, energetic, with understanding and enthusiasm
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain mindfulness, what it is and what it is not
- Describe how mindfulness can reduce stress reactivity
- Apply basic mindfulness skills in order to prevent compassion fatigue and burnout
- Identify the fundamental differences between MBSR and other relaxation/distraction techniques with respect to both difficulties and enhancing quality of life
- Identify the key aspects of mindfulness as it relates to stress reduction, coping with pain and illness and enhancing well-being
- Identify ways to separate life moments as: pleasant, neutral, or unpleasant; and apply the practice of present moment awareness
- Discuss the relationship between stimulus and response and how the practice of mindfulness improves the ability to respond to stress
- Describe the potential benefits of how MBSR and mindfulness practices can benefit patients and their families and enhance quality of life
- Utilize brief mindfulness practices with patients and family members as a means of coping with acute pain, anxiety and distress
- Apply mindfulness techniques in both personal and professional settings as a means of managing stressors more effectively
- Apply mindfulness into social interaction with patients, colleagues, supervisors, family and friends to facilitate more effective and mindful communication
- Identify 3 ways to maintain mindfulness practice and continue to use mindfulness in daily life
Information on continuing education credit for health professionals:
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Academy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Spiritual Competency Academy maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- SCA is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. RNs must retain their certificate of attendance for 4 years after the course concludes.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact The Center for Mindfulness, LLC at [email protected].
For questions about CE, contact Spiritual Competency Academy at [email protected].